|Meet the teachers - Year group welcome September 2021|
|At the start of the year we would normally hold a 'meet the teacher' afternoon where parents are invited into the school to meet the teachers and hear some key information about the year gr…|
How can I help my child with their home learning if I can't read English very well?
- Talk, talk, talk in your language. Talk about anything. Try to make the conversations go between you and your child several times as this will help their language skills even more. The language skills they learn in your language will help them with English.
- Tell your child stories. These could be from your childhood or you could invent your own stories. Pictures and objects can help you tell stories. Encourage your child to tell their own stories too.
- Read aloud to them every day if you can.
- Look at picture books together and talk about them in your language. What is happening? What are the characters like? What do you think will happen next? Why did the character do that? What could the character done differently? What would you have done? How did the character feel? How did that change by the end of the book? If you can, talk about them in English too. Help your child to retell the stories.
- If your child is learning a new, complicated concept and is struggling, talk to them about it in your language if that will help them.
- Do you know anyone in your community who could help you translate words you don't understand? Maybe there is a parent at school who could help.
- Speak to your child's teacher if you need help with their home learning. They will be happy to help.
If you are a parent or carer of a child who is bilingual, you may find the following links helpful.
Short video stories with no speaking. There are learning ideas for each story
Games and information to help you with English
Games to help you build your English vocabulary and grammar
Online books in 30 different languages
Selection of activities for different aged children
Online books and printable activities for different ages
30 day free access to online books
All Class activities
Oxford Reading Buddy login information
Time Tables Rockstars login information
Childrens Story Telling Channel
'Dyslexiagold' A resource to support children who struggle with reading and spelling, Years 1 to 5. Those children which do not know their username please contact the school via
the password is : MPPS
Online Art/Sketchbook course available for families to try
Take a look at this MUSIC link - great for classroom and family